Kedesh Rehabilitation Services (KRS) is a community-based charity organisation established to assist individuals with substance misuse or gambling problems. The organisation has been in operation since 1975, providing the largest drug and alcohol residential rehabilitation service within the Illawarra and Shoalhaven regions.
The service is partially funded through Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District (ISLHD) and is managed by a Board of Directors made up of local community members. KRS works in partnership with community-based stakeholders, other drug and alcohol agencies and ISLHD to provide an innovative statewide drug, alcohol and gambling dependency treatment service.
Our client centred treatment programs are designed to address the psychological aspects of addiction. We have a multidisciplinary team of Psychologists, Counsellors, Case Managers and Support Workers who can help you to reach your recovery goals.
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) is the primary therapeutic modality of KRS, however your therapist may employ a multi-modality approach which includes Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Psychodynamic Therapies, Attachment Theory, Family Systems Theory, Gestalt Therapy, Solution Focused Therapy and Positive Psychology. Our treatment programs are flexible and are tailored to meet the needs of each individual client.
All clients are allocated an individual counsellor who they will see for weekly sessions throughout the duration of their. Individual sessions are tailored to your specific recovery needs. We take a client centered and feedback informed approach.
Our Case Managers can assist you with planning for the future and developing an aftercare plan. Case Management typically focuses on assistance with housing, employment, integrated therapeutic services, training and education. Clients of Kedesh may be eligible to reduce fines through the State Debt Recovery Office by applying for a Work Development Order during their treatment.
Our group therapy modules cover the following;
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
Relapse prevention and drug refusal skills
Mindfulness and grounding
Inter and intra-personal relationships
Communication and Assertiveness Skills
Addiction not only takes a heavy toll on the individual, but also on their families and loved ones. It influences the way families interact, and develop patterns in the way families behave together. While not always obvious, these patterns of behaviour can influence the dynamics of the whole family, deteriorating trust, functioning, communication, and the ability to cope. All families find it difficult to deal with addictive behaviour and substance abuse.
We can support family members and carers to take an active role in the treatment and recovery of the individual, by agreement with everyone involved.
Kedesh provides aftercare support for clients who have completed the program through our continued care options. They aim to assist you with any ongoing challenges you may face when adjusting to early recovery after Kedesh. These include:
- Aftercare group: this group runs every Thursday from 10.45am-11.45am at the Illawarra Treatment Facility. Ex-clients who have completed the program are encouraged to attend and stay for a BBQ lunch.
- Individual Counselling & Case Management: Following completion of the program your counsellor and case manager may offer you additional outpatient sessions to further support you in recovery. The frequency and duration of these sessions are based on your individual needs. These sessions may be held at either the Illawarra Treatment Facility or the Community Access Centre.
- Assertive Aftercare: For clients living out of area but who wish to attend the Thursday aftercare group, KRS offers a short term 2-3 day residential stay, usually Wednesday-Friday. Clients are able to attend group sessions as well as sessions with their case manager and counsellor during their stay.
- Re-access Bed: another short term residential stay usually between 2-4 weeks. These stays are aimed to be a ‘booster’ or ‘refresher’ and may support you if a lapse/relapse occurs or at risk of, or whether you need further intensive support. Suitability is based on individual needs and goals.
Community Access Centre
The Kedesh Community Access Centre is responsible for the triage of clients within the Community who wish to access residential or outpatient support services. The Community Access Centre serves a number of functions by providing:
- Outpatient drug and alcohol counselling to clients in the Community
- Screening and assessment of clients on the waiting list for residential or outpatient services
- information/education and referral pathway
- Admission into our residential facility our day program
- SMART recovery meeting facilitation
SMART recovery is a voluntary self help group to assist people in recovery from alcohol, drug use and other addictive behaviours. SMART recovery uses Cognitive Behavior Therapy Principles (CBT) to help teach practical skills to assist people achieve their recovery goals.
Currently KRS staff facilitate one weekly SMART recovery meeting each week:
Maximum Number of Residents: 10
Age Range : 16 Years +
Appromimate Payment: Admission $160.00 ( % of Centrelink)
Length of Stay: 8-9 Weeks
Types of Treatment: drug/alcohol/gambling
Disorders: Duel Diagnosis Treatment (Approx 70% of clients are classified as dual diagnosis)
150 Darley Rd, Manly,
P: (02) 4222 1800
P: (02) 9932 5300
F: (02) 9932 5333